May 31, 2006

Life of Pie

Sometime in 1996, I went on a camping trip with my cousin, his wife and their friends around BC,Canada. Our last stop was the town of Hope in the Fraser Valley. It is a relatively small community east of Vancouver. There are many things I remember about the place: the Indian settlements, Hell's Gate, Fraser Canyon, the Gold Rush trail, it being a filming location for Rambo and of course the breathtaking views.

But what has forever left an imprint in my memory is the home-style restaurant we visited. I'm still kicking myself for not remembering the name! First thing that caught my eye when I went through the doors was this rotating floor-to-ceiling glass case filled with pies. Lots of them. Of all kinds, each with a slice or more removed so you could see it's filling.

I must have been staring at it wide-eyed for a while because my cousin's wife took my hand and gently pulled me towards our table. We were starving so we first ordered regular food. All I wanted was pie, but I ordered a sandwich anyway and managed to eat most of it.

I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into some home-style crusty goodness. When the time finally came to order dessert, the 5 of us decided to each order a different flavor so we had more to sample. I couldn't make up my mind, so I let everyone else order first , helping to narrow my choices. Eventually I ordered the pecan pie which turned out to be delish! My first choice was the banana cream pie, but someone beat me to it. I did get to try that too and was not disappointed.

They were all delicious! I was smitten. I have since developed an obsession for pies. I love them almost as much as I love cheesecakes and cupcakes.

Unfortunately, pies are not a staple dessert in the Philippines. Sure we have buko (coconut) pie which is abundant especially along the national highways of Los Banos and Tagaytay, but all other flavors are few and far between. But steadily gaining popularity.

I bought myself a pie pan in the hopes that I would muster the courage to make my own someday. I haven't yet but I promise I will soon and post about it. I'm thinking a Lemon Meringue pie , or my faovrite Key Lime Pie for starters, yum! :)

You Are Mud Pie

You're the perfect combo of flavor and depth
Those who like you give into their impulses

No comments: