October 14, 2008

A super special delivery

Djuna's lovely gift basket 1

When my sweet friend D offered to send me a sample basket of her organic produce, I expected, well , just a small sampling. Instead, I woke up to the super generous and colorful bounty you see in the photo above (there's a lot more in the basket you don't see: more potatoes, onions, kalamansi , another head of broccoli, another head of cauliflower, a zucchini and more tomatoes)! Don't they look gorgeous? It made me wish instantly that I didn't have to leave for work that day. I wanted to stay home and admire my lovely present and make delicious things with them. In an ideal world, that's how that special day would have played out, with the time to blog about each and every one of the dishes.

But in reality, I barely had time to arrange the veggies and shoot this photo before I grabbed some breakfast and dressed for work. Since that day though, we've enjoyed the freshness and all-natural goodness of these vegetables in simple dishes such as tortang talong, spanish omelettes, cauliflower au gratin, eggplant parmesan, steamed broccoli in oyster sauce, and tortilla de patata. The super crisp lettuce & juicy tomatoes I take with me to work for a nice lunch salad along with various other toppings, and all the carrots have already gone into the juicer with either oranges, grapefruit, celery and/or cucumber, melon, mango etc. (boy, do I love my fresh juice!!) :)

I'm really enjoying this stash! So much so that I've asked D to put me in her 'system', with an every-other-week order. I'm really loving how accessible all these locally-grown organic fruits (she'll be adding mangoes, papaya and bananas to the next batch:) ) and veggies are becoming, giving busy people like myself the opportunity to support local farmers.

I've also placed an order with another local organic farmer to try, the same one Joey ordered from and who was introduced to us by our dear friend, Katrina. (Thanks, Kat!:)) He delivered his produce this morning, looking just like Joey's in her photo, along with a dozen organic eggs, 2 papayas and one mabolo fruit. :) I can't wait to try everything!

Thank you, dear sweet D, for such a lovely and healthy present! :)

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're very welcome! In fact, thank YOU for ordering! Since I don't cook, and (shamefully) am not fond of veggies, those big, beautiful baskets of produce would just go to waste if I ordered. So I'm glad that there are people like Joey and you who can give these organic farmers the support they need. :-)

Anonymous said...

It's GREAT to have you back!! I was beginning to worry that you wouldn't continue writing and posting pictures. Welcome back Christine, you were sorely missed. :-)

ChichaJo said...

I got my basket from D today! What a wonderful array of veggies! I was so excited to see them :) Thanks for hooking me up! We enjoy a great stir fry for dinner :)

Anonymous said...

Wow ! That is indeed a great-looking bunch of vegetables! so colorful!

Lila

christine said...

Hi Katrina, it's really such a great deal. You get healthy organic produce AND you help the local farmers - a win-win situation! :)

Aw thanks, Ben! Sorry for neglecting this space for so long. I have so much backlog now I don't know where to start! There aren't enough hours in a day, really. :) Thanks for sticking around!

You're welcome, Jo! Love to spread the happiness! :)

Hi Lila, colorful is right! Such rich vibrant color at that. My photo doesn't really do much justice to it. :)

Watergirl said...

Glorious colors and imagine how tasty they will be in your dishes!

Can they deliver to the reaches of QC? I might order for me and my parents so I don't have to worry about wasting good food.

edelweiza said...

hello...what a lovely and healthy present! yeah, buying organic produce will surely help augment the income of organic farmers. :)

christine said...

Hi Mila! You can ask her, I'll send you her number. :)

You're right Edelweiza. And it makes me feel good to know I can help. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to try out Djuna's service- and gosh, it looks gorgeous! Thanks for posting the photo- I'll definitely order now.

Didi said...

They all look so good! Same Q as Mila - do they deliver to QC ?:)

christine said...

Hey Lorraine! You'll be happy you did! :)

Hey Di! Let me ask Mila if she got in touch with Djuna already. If not, I'll ask her myself. I'll let you know what she says. :)

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

How I wish I had such a sweet setup!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Is it okay to ask where you get your vegetables? Thanks!

and food for thought. said...

I was sent this blog post by Katrina! My eyes and tummy are being tickled!

Do you mind sending me the number of this wonderful supplier ? :) I would love to order this week!

Please email me at trishagreentree@gmail.com

christine said...

Unfortunately, Djuna no longer does individual deliveries of her produce. :( Though she does supply many supermarkets. I miss receiving her veggies and fruits, it was something I had started to really look forward to already.

Charles said...

Your food pictures look amazing! I’d love to know how your setup is when picturing your food.

Charles
http://pampanguenacafe.wordpress.com